Friday, March 9, 2007

Here we are, back at it again!!!

Hello Readers,

Sorry for the few days that we posted nothing but it's for a good reason, it's because we were doing nothing. Good explanation? After so many days of so much work, my body gave out on me. One night I got home from work and barely made it into the bed for a little nap. It was a good rest though and now we are ready and able to put in a good weekend's worth of work.


So today I had my compressed work day which means I had the day off. What happens is that you work an additional 45min a day and at the end of two weeks you have worked off an entire day!


So now where do I begin? Current time, 12:20am. Let's go straight to the renovation talk. Today I started by cleaning out more of the miscellaneous objects in the in-law suite. We are hoping to work on the ceiling tomorrow and we have to clean everything out. Ryan started by drilling holes in the wall for ductwork. He only had a small (but very long) drill bit so he had to drill a bunch of small holes in a circle and then smash a large hole with a hammer. He did a really nice job.


Next Ryan and I worked at installing the rest of the boards to the floor joists to reinforce the floor upstairs (so that when we install tiles they won't crack and so that the fridge doesn't jump when we are jumping!). Then we worked together installing all the pot light boxes (the boxes are needed for insulated ceilings and so that the light itself won't overheat).


After that Ryan worked on a bunch of electrical elements such as running cables for the pot lights and installing the bathroom vent. Then he moved onto some duct work and then back to running cables. Meanwhile I continued clearing items out of the room and sweeping up the area.


A thought I had while cleaning, one I also mentioned to Ryan, was since we have a bunch of piles of rubble that maybe we should do a "Shawshank". Which means, taking a bit of the rubble with us everywhere we go and slowly getting rid of it by filtering it out of our pockets! So if you invite us over sometime soon and find a stone here or there, it wasn't us! We don't even have time to visit!... except for my dad's birthday on Sunday. 2 more days to go dad!


So I guess that's about it and if I missed anything the pictures should pick up on it.



Ryan here,


Well, Kristina covered pretty much everything.


But, to clarify the matter of the size of my bit, I have larger ones but since the hole I needed to bore was 4" in diameter, I felt some finnesse was required. Still a big bit though.

My focus for today was to complete everything that would be concealed by the ceiling once the insulation and Sonopan is installed. Looks like it should be up by Sunday. The delivery of studs for the framing is arriving on Monday. So, in theory, the basement will be framed by Wednesday!

We'll see exactly how that pans out...



"Now that's a drill bit!", Ryan said.

Uh-oh, they're at it again!

Ryan drilling a pilot hole from the inside.

The block wall. Oooh, aaahhh!



Here Ryan is starting to drill a bunch of holes. He is doing this from outside because it will make for a cleaner appearance instead of breaking off a bunch of the brick from inside and having the outside look sloppy.

Vent done!

A pile of mixed junk for me to clean. Oh boy!

Is everything ok, inspector?

Looks good from here...

What a cool looking bathroom fan if ever there was one!

Look at those amazingly installed light boxes and reinforced joists! No, really, look. I mean it!

And for the grand finale, moving the lightswitch to meet "code".

No comments: